Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Listening


This book took a long time for me to get through. Non fiction, takes place in Berlin, 1933. It is a stunning eyewitness perspective on events as they unfold, as witnessed through America's first ambassador to Hitler's Germany, William Dodd & the people around him.  It was both horrifying and illuminating.  But I was glad for the experience.

Then I tried to listen to Walden.  The classic.  I guess I wasn't in the mood, or maybe I didn't like the sound of reader's voice, but I bailed after the first CD.  Will have to try again maybe in the winter?

Next.....
I had read this once, but it was delightful to listen to again.   Clearly I am a fan of Muriel Barbery.  I think I enjoyed it even more the second time.  And I think my dear Claude might also smell like brioche.

and now...


Just started this today.   The author was recommended by a reader of this blog!!! Thank you so much! I can say, I am loving it, and just one disc in.   It is perfect for me to work to, I'm hungry for the words.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenny,
Glad to hear your enjoying Ondaatje. His writing is wondeful. Here is one of my favorite poems of his "The Cinnamon Peeler" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A2ekfA8Kn8

I just finished "And the Mountains Echoed" loved it!! Now I'm listening to "The Kite Runner", also very good.
Cheers
kevin

Jenny Mendes said...

Hi Kevin,
I'm glad you liked that.
I just finished Divisidero, I would have been happy to stay there much longer. Thank you so much for that!