Insect Sgrafitto

Today I took a good look at the lilly pads in my pond.  From a distance they looked normal.  But upon closer inspection I could see another story.  On the one hand the leaves looked diseased, attacked, but from another point of view, an amazing story of insect life and choreography.  Where is the truth?  It reminded me how easy it to miss what is really going on in the world, and with the people that come in and out of our lives.    How can we learn to see more than the surface story?  These leaves were so beautiful to me, even in their distressed state. The lovely language of scarification made visible.  I appreciated seeing the trace of what they had been through that I might have never known or even guessed at had it not been made visible, permanently tattooed for the season, for anyone that might take the time to look, like sgrafitto.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sally Mann