Detachment


swans_AR.jpg
taylorbermanart.com this is the image on the business card of a lovely man I met last weekend at my show in Minnesota.  He gave me the card and I only just went to his website tonight, where there are many very interesting images he has created.   About this image he said:
For the portraiture part of this piece, I referenced a photograph of an actual Indian Sadhu. In conducting further research, I discovered that swans are a symbol of detachment in Hindu iconography, and rightfully so, given the following symbolic analogy: Much like the holy men of India, who are present in their bodily existence yet strictly resist attachment to anything worldly, swans can sit in water (the world), yet without getting wet (attached) due to the oils in their feathers (or in the Sadhu’s case, devotion to strict asceticism).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sally Mann