Paulus Berensohn rest in peace

I have this card hanging in my little studio, that Paulus sent me, I don't remember when.  I always keep it there, pinned to the side wall, a daily reminder of this sweet man....  I hadn't looked inside it in a while, and I did today, when I made this little altar for him as he goes into the ground today.  I opened the card and saw this poem rewritten just slightly by Paulus....

Last Fragment

And did you get what you wanted from this life, even so?

I did

And what was it you wanted?

To call myself beloved.  To feel myself beloved on this earth and of this earth.

To sing and dance on it.

Raymond Carver

but that is the way Paulus rewrote it, and this is how Carver wrote it:

last fragment indeed!

Late Fragment

And did you get what
you wanted from this life, even so?
I did.
And what did you want?
To call myself beloved, to feel myself
beloved on the earth.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sally Mann