gourmet rhapsody

there is a cookie i have always remembered from when I was a child.  my father's secretary's mother made them.
She was from Uruguay, but maybe originally Romania... I'm not sure.  They were simple and
simply delicious and I've never been able to forget them.  Thanks to facebook I tracked down her granddaughter and she sent me the recipe.  Today I tried it for the first time.  The dough is very soft, and tender.  Maybe it could use a bit more flour, but I got it to work.... :)
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 stick plus 2 T butter
1 T milk
1T lemon juice
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking powder
3 eggs beaten, and save some to brush on top....
put it all together
roll out, cut shapes, bake at 350 till done 15-20 min. (this took longer in my oven)

I didn't have more directions than this, so I beat all the wet ingredients together,
and then refrigerated it to stiffen it up..... rolled it out, and
you can see the results below.  Understated, and subtle.  I think they
would be good with the addition of some lemon zest, or lavender....
or maybe rosewater..... still I think I got close to the flavor I was looking for....
I don't usually bake for myself, but I have a special guest staying with me who likes sweets so I had a good excuse!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sally Mann