My house flooded again..... :(

Well, this was quite the homecoming.  The last day in Saint Louis was beautiful, and driving home was warm and clear.  So discovering that it had been raining nonstop at home was a big surprise, not to mention horror show when drove up to the house (suspicious logs all over our property by the road that gave me a flashback to the last flood) but it was dark so we couldn't see much.  Then I stepped out of the car, and it seemed wet and slippery, but still we didn't know until we approached the house, and then opened the door.  I guess it flooded on Sunday, and while the water has gone down, there is mud and debris everywhere.  And things missing, like the scaffolding that was holding up the bridge.  Gone.  And my beautiful garden, flooded and forlorn.  At least it happened in September and not mid summer.     The water didn't come into the house quite as high as last time, or, maybe since no one was home, and the doors were closed, it kept some out, but still anything that was close to the floor is now destroyed.  But my little kiln was spared.  Thank goodness she is up on blocks.  We learned our lesson last time. More to come as the clean up ensues....... 

The furnace room


shop

high and dry!!!

ironic isn't it, not looking too fresh here.....

Comments

Tracey Broome said…
So sorry you are having to deal with that!!! We have the exact opposite problem, we are up on a hill and when we get heavy rain our yard washes out. We have trenches everywhere :( best wishes for a speedy cleanup
FetishGhost said…
What a horrible mess to come home to! I promise to stop whining about our studio roof leaking this year now.
How awful for you Jenny. I so enjoy your blog and should comment more often but this one warranted my sympathy.
I used to live in a house where the basement flooded regularly. I couldn't afford to dig around the foundation to waterproof, but came up with a makeshift solution that lasted for years. A man came and carved out a graded, narrow trench out of the concrete floor, lining it with a coat of concrete, leading to the sump pump. Every spring I could hear the sump pump running as it filled and ejected, and rested assured that the flood would never run from one end of the house to other again.
Would that work for you?
Linda Starr said…
So sorry about your second flood, can you hire a grading contractor to put in some french drains around your house, and does your roof have downspouts, can you route them away from your home, the weather is so unpredictable, I hate to see you keep getting flooded.
Anonymous said…
So sorry you have this mess. May clean-up not be too painful. I just remember helping my then 84 year old neighbor, Miss Grace (now 90), after flooding here, saying, "Trow it out, jus trow it out. I didn't come in this world with furniture. Now trow it out." Hope you don't have to throw out much - naomi

I check in regularly because your work is so fun.
claydancer said…
Oh Jenny, that's just redunculous! I was thinking about the weather out your way. So sorry for the mud mess again. I hope the clean up isn't to bad and that you can get back to work. Love ya cutie.
Jenny Mendes said…
Thanks everyone for your kind words.....things are looking up!
juju said…
I don't know how you can cope with two floods so close together. Our house is still being repaired from our flood and it is still in grave danger. Do you not have problems with rising damp and stuff? Do you have a basement?
Carey said…
I know first hand how stressful and how much work a flooding can be. Hope you're back to normal real soon!
It must have been very difficult to clean the house. It seems everything was in a mess. I hope you were able to find help for the cleaning and the repairs. At least, none of the person you love was hurt. That is the greatest consolation you may have.
Tyrone Nold said…
You can’t just fight against the nature. I feel sorry for you, Jenny. It looked like the flood left your home in total disarray. Were there any signs of mold manifestation then? Anyway, I hope nothing so tragic like this happens to you again. Always take care!
Unknown said…
I’m sorry to have stumbled upon your blog and read how badly your house got flooded. How did the clean up go? Have you waterproofed your basement? That would prevent floodwaters from damaging your house’s structure.

Mike Solmen
Unknown said…
Those things are always a rather grim reminder on the fragility of structures and how susceptible they are to just about anything. Including, well, floods.One can only wish that the history of at ill, at this point, and that itwill not be repeated, though we can never be sure. What we can ascertain though, are legal protections that we can have, or rather should have on the ready, must those hit, so that our rights to compensation are ensured, those these floods are not our fault anyways, at least not directly.

Charlena Leonard @ Weidner Law

Popular posts from this blog

Sally Mann